- 2 medium spaghetti squash, roasted or microwaved
- 2 tablespoons coconut or avocado oil (for oven method)
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz. nitrate-free bacon (turkey or pork)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 8 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 organic chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, reserve some liquid
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canned full-fat coconut milk (Sprouts)
- 2 scoops collagen powder (Vital Proteins or MAV Nutrition-Amazon) (optional to thicken)
Oven Method: Cut the squash horizontally and scoop out the seeds. Rub generously with coconut or avocado oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking dish flesh side down. Bake for 35-45 minutes in a 375-degree oven until cooked through and a knife slides through easily. Set aside to cool. When cooled enough to handle, scrape the noodles with a fork to create spaghetti strands.
Microwave Method: Spear whole spaghetti with a knife several times. Place squash on a glass plate. Cook for 7-10 minutes until cooked. Repeat for the second squash. Set aside to cool. When cooled enough to handle, scrape the noodles with a fork to create spaghetti strands.
In a large bowl, add the shredded squash, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms to the bowl of squash. Add the bacon to the skillet and cook through. Set aside on a paper towel to drain. Cut bacon into 1-inch pieces; add to squash mixture. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk and collagen powder to thicken. Pour the egg mixture into the spaghetti squash and mix well. Then pour the entire mixture into a casserole dish. Bake for 20 minutes in a 375-degree oven. Garnish with fresh basil.